Staycations: Summer Trend Report
The summer solstice is this week and that means that it’s time to update our wardrobes, decor, and gift selections to reflect the warm weather and sunshine! To honor this transition, our editors are taking you on a tour of what’s “hot” for summer in their areas of expertise.
After thumbing through all of the summer catalogs & magazines, I noticed one glaring trend. The “staycation” is bigger than ever this year. People are making their backyards, parks & beaches into the getaway of their dreams for a fraction of the cost of a family vacation.
So, what do you need to make your staycation stellar? I’ll show you how to make this trend your summer strategy for maximum relaxation and fun. Even if you buy everything on this list, except the $2000 Margaritaville Bar, you’re only spending $500 for at least one stellar staycation. Try going to Disney World for that! See where to get everything in the photo collage and list below by clicking here:
1. You need to show people where the party is with a beach sign, doormat or pillow like this Beach Sign Oblong Decorative Pillow from Walmart for $11.97.
2. You need somewhere festive to rest your drink like on one of these Palm Garden Flip Flop Coasters from Perpetual Kid for $21.99.
3. If your drink gets to rest, so should you! Enjoy some down time in a hammock that folds up and goes wherever you do. I love the EZ Stow Portable Hammock because it’s lightweight, colorful and creates an instant cabana. $101.00
4. You have to stay hydrated, even in your own back yard, and these Prepology Acrylic cups with straws are the perfect way to keep a drink close by without fear of spilling. And at $19.98 for a set of 4 22oz cups, you can get them for the whole family.
5. To make your staycation feel a world away you’ll also need some tropical tunes. Make a Pandora station on your iPod and let it flow from mobile boom box, like the Rockin and Rollin Collapsible Cooler. This is great because it keeps your drinks cold and the mood just right. $64.95
6. Picnics can be great except that not everybody feels comfortable eating on the ground, or sitting cross-legged. So an easy fix for that is to pick up a Folding Picnic Table that is lightweight, folds up into an easy to carry box, and seats 4. $134.99
7. If you ask me, no vacation is complete without a fruity cocktail that is preferably frozen and garnished with fruit. That’s why I’ve included a blender that is made for crushing and shaving ice into the perfect poolside drink. I like the Nostalgia Electrics 64oz Margarita & Slush Maker because of it’s fun red color and the amazing price of $54.99. Most other ice shaving/crushing blenders cost a lot more than this.
8. But, not everyone is a frozen drink lover and lucky for them a big trend right now is pretty beverage dispensers for everything from lemonade to sangria. The Pedestaled Ice Chamber Beverage Dispenser is great because it holds 1.3 gallons of liquid and has a separate ice chamber for keeping the drink cold without watering it down. But, you can also fill the chamber with pretty fruits or flowers to add more color to your party.
9. If you’re making all of these fun drinks, you should be drinking them out of fun cups. The Margarita 6 Piece Set from Cellar Drinkware is fantastic because it comes with colorful margarita glasses are practically indestructible and dishwasher safe. The set also comes with a salt-rimmer so you can dip your glasses in sugar or salt to make your drinks look professional. The pitcher is handy for keeping refills of your favorite drink close by too.
10. And now for the grand finale! It isn’t necessary but wouldn’t it be fun to set up the Margaritaville Tiki Bar to go completely over the top? The island themed bar is built to last with an aluminum roof & plenty of storage for your glasses and bottles. Sure it’s pricey at $1,995.00 but it’s ok to dream, right?
Family staycation image is from our friends at SheKnows